Tuesday 28 October 2014

How to help children adjust to the clocks changing?

It's that time of year again, when the clocks go back and suddenly you feel like you've been plunged into winter. The sudden change makes the whole world feel darker and every year I'm overtaken with an overwhelming urge to snuggle up and cosy in for the winter. The coldness is here and it's time to get the hats and scarfs out, put on your wooly gloves and stock the cupboard with soups to warm the cockles of the heart on those frosty days.

Winter always presents challenges but I am currently struggling with the first hurdle; getting the kids routine settled after the clocks have changed.



The UK clocks went back on Sunday night. All of a sudden my baby has gone from being an angel, who goes to bed at 7 pm and wakes at 5 am, to being a grumpy monkey struggling to stay awake until bedtime and waking me at the deathly hour of 4 am.

By 7.30 pm (formally known as 8.30 pm) my 4 year old is a whinging monster. Instead of enjoying starting my day at the reasonable hour of 7 am, I am now being woken at 6 am by my two wide eyed darling daughters.

An air of confusion has descended on me as I struggle to figure out when my baby is due milk. Two days ago I was able to look at the clock and predict when my baby would be hungry or be due for a nap. Now, every time I glance at the time I just feel dizzy.

As with so many things, when I'm struggling I turn to my old friend Goggle for help. In this case, the best advice I found was to adjust your child's routine by 15 mins and maintain the change for 3 or 4 days, then change by 15 mins again for another 3 or 4 days, and repeat until you have gained or lost your extra hour. It is recommended that you start this in advance of the clock change.

Of course, although this change happens ever year, it slipped my mind and it wasn't until the day before the clocks went back that I realised what was going on. So we will probably be playing catch up for the next fortnight.

Then there is meal times and naps to consider. The thought of making 15 min adjustments for everything in our routine is making my head spin. If I'm honest, I think the easiest option is just to be extra sensitive to my children's needs and slowly edge into the new routine.

I am confident that the girls will settle quite quickly. For now though, I am well and truly crashing into winter in a foggy, sleep deprived haze. So much for that extra hour we were promised!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment